Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What I HATE about reality shows!!

I am a bonafide TV addict. I watch anything and everything as long as it is interesting, funny or educative and sometimes just to catch up on the entertainment industry. I am the sort that identifies video vixens from one music video to the next.
As a TV addict, I watch some reality shows because they are imposed on us by all these channels. Every channel probably has one reality show or two these days! I usually watch to see how those people interact with their friends, families and if they are who they portray to be in the media.
Much as I love some like Jerseylicious-endless drama, Life In The Fab Lane-Kimora's work ethic and Real Housewives Of Atlanta-more drama! There are so many that I have grown to stop watching because the characters keep on reminding me why I HATE them and their shows!
Poor choice in role models. I don't know if you have noticed the people they choose to have reality shows. They are not the sort you'd like your children or anyone who knows better to look up to. As a viewer, we tend to look up to people we identify with probably because we share the same values, morals and work ethic? If someone told me they identify with Snooki, Holly Madison etc., I would think there is something wrong with them.
Pretentious Celebrities. I abhor reality show celebrities who pretend the routes to stardom they used are lies and on top of that: act like born royalty who deserves to be treated as such! I believe people can change, try to become good but please; don't act like you're royalty and innocent when the world has seen you do the nasty and more! And why do they go to donate some of their stuff then make sure to get photographed doing charitable acts?
Fame Mongers. A reality star's fifteen minutes of fame last as long as she/he is in the public eye. If the show gets cancelled and there is no press even bad press, then his or her reign ends. It is for that matter that they do anything and everything like set up scams for TV and sponsors which they continually deny-to stay famous. And they turn anything bad into a business opportunity!
Product Peddlers. I have come to realise that it is the norm for all reality stars excluding Kimora Lee Simmons Hounsou to develop products with their names attached as brands once they hit stardom. Is having products out there the ultimate show of how famous they are? Isn't the fact that people watch their shows enough without having to sell their so called "fans" stuff too?
Skewed Messages. Have you ever watched a reality show and wondered why it is even on TV? I ask myself that question every time I find out that 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom are on and it is a new season. When they came out,they had a good message, "teenage pregnancy is not all it is cracked up to be neither is being a teen mother" but as they progress with newer faces and fresher babies, you wonder why they are not discontinued seeing that they have led to a huge increment in teenage pregnancies instead of a reduction. The message now is, "It is cool to be a teen parent because you can become a reality star."

Recently, word got out that someone has set up a petition for the canceling of some reality shows which I fully support because these shows are mostly staged and place an emphasis on vanity, greed, promiscuity, vulgarity and over-the-top conspicuous consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...