Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The FUNNY business of moving out.



I love listening to ‘moving out’ stories from my friends. Some of them are downright amusing while others have the typical end-parents don’t mind. When I learn a friend of mine has moved out of his/her family home, my foremost questions are, ‘when did you move out? How did you tell your parents and what was their reaction?’ A few friends have told me this;
Louis: He found a place to live in, moved some of his things into it. When he was finally ready to leave  home, he waited for his parents to go to work then sent them a text informing them of his pending move. He feared doing it face to face cause of their reaction and the probability  they’d change his mind. He said, the text was to let them get over the shock and anger so when they returned home, their tempers would have cooled and were in position to talk about it rationally with him.
Malcolm: Found a place, paid the asking fee then tried to work up the courage to tell his dad. Unfortunately, the stipulated months worth of rent he’d paid passed and he never got the chance to occupy it. He failed to tell his dad.
Isaac: This was told to me by my girl Mayi. Isaac’s parents own a bakery whose factory is back behind their main house. Isaac works at that factory. He got the urge to move out of his family home and he found a flat to rent with his friend on the opposite side of town –far from his work place and parents’ home. He has to deal with two kinds of traffic to and fro just to get from his flat and work. Isaac spends 1 out of 7 days in his rented flat and the rest at his childhood home. He catches lunch, evening tea and supper from his home then crawls into his childhood bedroom.
Me: I have been threatening my mum about moving out. Told her I am going to find an apartment and they’ll pay for it but the woman is not shaken! She is as steady as an oak tree. Her idea of me moving out is moving into our boys’ quarters!
Personally, I see no sense in moving out of somewhere where you don’t pay rent, buy food etc all in the name of being Independent! Unless you want to get your groove on (you know what I mean) all the time with some dude or dudette without your parents catching you in the act. And this could also be done by renting a hotel room and get it out of your system.
But, really, I find it foolish. No offense to those who have done so. I’m of the view that you can use what you’re to spend on rent, paying bills and buying your own food to build yourself (as they say) straight from home. You can use that money to buy your own car, pimp your childhood room after all you’ll move the same things once you move out, buy a plot of land and go about building your own house if you haven’t made the decision to take further your education by paying tuition in what you earn instead of lining some landlord’s pockets making him richer yet you have nothing to show for your independence.
Parents are a little lax these days. Fine, they’ll shout at you for coming in late but would never throw you out.
I know people who have gotten married while at their childhood home then moved out and some who moved out after their own houses were done. Where is the rush?
Yes! I am one those girls who will probably move out of her childhood home with a ring on it (if ever!) and not before. This is if my mum doesn’t get her way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...