Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I Got It From My Mama.

I recently ran into a cousin on my father’s side and I was shocked! The resemblance between him and my brother was so uncanny I failed to wrap my mind around it. We talk about strong gene pools and all like they are common occurrences but this was too much.
The last time I saw him, he was a teenager of 15 with a slight resemblance to my brother. At the time, I remember telling my brother how Bryan (cousin) looked a little like him with the exception of age and weight. Bryan was young and skinny. This time round; he not only looks like Sadat (brother) but has both his and dad’s traits – the laugh, unhurried/laidback talk, height, weight and build! I couldn’t stop myself from staring at him nor getting over it!

C'est moi et Bryan.

Sadat is a younger version of my dad. Sometimes, the people we know mistake him for my father and Bryan would pass as his twin. I think those who know both my dad and Bryan probably think he is his biological son. These are genes you can’t deny even with a DNA test! Like the ones between Eddie Murphy and his daughter Angel from MelB.

Sadat and Me!
Aside from the uncanny looks; I was really impressed with how enterprising Bryan is. He dropped out of school at 15 (actually told his dad school wasn’t for him) and went on to learn practical skills on how to become a mechanic at my dad’s garage. Now at  24, he is a mechanic and not only deals in cars old cars but trades the too. This shows you don’t have to be over 30 to curve out your own path to success.
The other reason as to why I am really impressed with him is cause he reminds me so much of my dad. My dad started out as a mechanic when young and now has lots of trucks and two garages-one for his trucks and the other for the small normal cars though he isn’t a full time mechanic anymore.

Bryan by his car.
Are you wondering where I got my good looks from? As they say, “I got it from my mama”. Yes. The big eyes, small nose and ears, fingers and chubby feet are courtesy of her. The few things I got from my dad are the character traits- he is way too quiet, a loner and I have his forehead too. LOL! I got my forehead and face from him. Other than that, I am the no relation/resemblance child.

My mom.
My sister is a cross between my mum and dad erring on dad’s side and so is Sadat. All three look a like with my sister as the female version of them and they have good height and build. The height is my only bone of contention, I am jealous of them cause they are tall whilst I am a short and petite hussy! I am as height challenged as my mum. The plus in all this genetic thing is the graceful aging on both sides of my parents. We age GRACEFULLY!!!
Sidebar; This is why height is a deal breaker for me when it comes to dating and relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...