Monday, May 18, 2015

Work Firsts

With the Gomba district police

I think every job brings with it little new lessons and experiences to make you appreciate it more. Like I am doing of late. The more I learn, the more appreciative I am for the experiences because most of it is so new to me.
Recently, I was tasked with the creation of a weekly newsletter for the organisation I work with. To say it was daunting would be putting it mildly. I know nothing about content creation, lay-out and design. The newsletters I read are usually brief and to the point. On top of that there were design issues to consider. Aside from the content within the newsletter, the design has to be appealing as well.
This was serious food for thought. How do I have it created without incurring design costs? Why should it even dip into funds when it is for staff consumption? They do say ‘where there this a will there is a way’, right? Indeed. For the first time in my life, I looked into what MS Publisher is and what it does through the attainment of a manual. I downloaded the tutorial and after a skim of the first page on publisher, I dived right into the practical.
Going about its development brought this feeling of satisfaction I never expected. I enjoyed every little step of the way and could not be more proud. converting that baby into pdf added the finishing touches that brought it all together beautifully. I certainly feel confident in my creative abilities. Who knew? At this point, I can definitely hack it in the magazine world.
I also got the chance to go to a far off village for fieldwork. To sensitize the district police on handling women with disabilities in cases pertaining them. The officers were so young! Literally fresh from University and as smart as can be in their uniforms. Looking at them with the jaundiced eyes of a city born, I wondered if this is what the girls wanted out of life. To be district police officers in an undeveloped district going nowhere. It brought to mind the local officers we read about in novels whose only achievement in life is being the law in a two-bit town as they call it. Generation to generation.
Much as it was an educational experience, village life is so simple and so basic. People have to do a lot to get out of there if they want more out of life.

@NuwoduAdvocacy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...