Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Rekindled Old friendships

The people that love me unreasonably and unconditionally make me marvel and at the same time wonder what it is that I did or do to evoke such a wealth and depth of feeling toward me. 
I won‘t say that I am a really bad person because I‘m not, well half of me isn‘t anyway, but such feelings make one question life and be thankful at the same time.
I rekindled a friendship I had no business of breaking in the first place but due to misplaced loyalty, I had to. On the day I actually sat down and thought of all my friends and the new friendships I had made, I couldn't help but think of this one that I‘d let go of because of circumstances.  This particular person was and still is good to me. 
I remembered how good it was between us and the good things that she had done for me.  With all this going through my mind, I decided to let loyalty be damned and reach out.
You‘d expect someone you haven‘t talked to in almost a year to have a bit of an attitude or be at least a bit wary towards you, no? Surprisingly, this person was more receptive and warm. And in that moment, she reminded me of why we became friends in the first place and why I missed how  it had been between us. And she made me be thankful to God for having people like her in the world.
Everything fell into place and it was like we'd never taken a break from the friendship. Friendships like these remind me that there is or are a few good things in this world and they should be appreciated for what they are.
I‘m a firm believer in ‘the less friends one has, the better‘ but if you have someone who really loves you unreasonably and unconditionally in your corner, don‘t let them go out of some misguided sense of loyalty to another person. Let them sort their issues out without your involvement because you will be the one left holding the short end of the stick. Friendships like these should be treasured for what they are.
To all the old and new friends: you make me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...