Friday, July 10, 2015

Pinspiration

I took a break from my heart series when the idea to explore something new was just a little seedling at the back of my mind.
With the idea, came Lady Luck filled with loads of inspiration. I must say; I hate it when inspiration strikes while I am doing that which pays the bills because it makes it hard to give it the concentration it deserves, and I am usually without pencil and paper.
It's been quite the lazy week at work so when inspiration struck, I took pen to notebook and doodled my thought. It has been years since I doodled. I even thought I didn't have it in me but it is still there. The last doodle I made never translated well into a drawing which I guess, put a stop to my doodling.
Doodling is a fun little way to see how the design will look on a small scale without having to whip out the A4 and sketchbooks. 
My first doodle in several years had quite the reception on Instagram and led me to believe it will transition well on paper complete with details.


The design however, is much more different from the doodle, if I am to be honest. It is so rough in my opinion and something that can easily turn into a work-in-progress for an entire year or two. I'm not writing it off yet just not anxious enough to see it complete at the moment.
When lady inspiration strikes, she is usually with me for a week. This is why I tend to have a succession of back to back designs. This time was no different. I was of the mind to take my art supplies with me to work then eschewed the thought. I thought it fanciful and over expectant of me. You cannot recreate magic twice in a row. Well, I stand corrected. When inspiration struck again, instead of making a little doodle, I gave the actual design a go and voilĂ . Magic. 

 
Doing an actual design complete with details at work would be grounds for dismissal. I'm glad I didn't get caught. This drawing inspired a different design that I am absolutely in love with. Working on it has brought me so much awe because of the evolution. The evolution of a design remains the most breathtaking experience of my life!


After completion of the outline, I spent the next day scouring Pinterest for pattern inspiration ideas. The talent on Pinterest is immense! The time I spent left me inspired and I now want to start maintaining an art journal. Kudos to the person that invented Pinterest and the people who share their ideas and designs. 
Much as it was overwhelming looking at the scores of ideas, my sojourn over there was successful. I found a pattern (though no less different from what I am usually drawn to) that would fit my vision and the results are amazing!
I am proud of my talent. Being an artist on my off days is the best thing that could happen. And when a design leaves me awestruck, I send a little prayer of thanks to the Almighty. Art is who I am. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...