Thursday, July 25, 2019

Champion Your Work!

'You are as good as your last project. You are as good as your last pitch. You are as good as your last review. And with every day that passes, that project pitch or review will lose its wonder.' - Ross Simmonds

I first wrote about self marketing after a workshop held for volunteers and interns at my workplace. Back then; it was based on the background of employment and promotion. But, how about if a person is a creative? A writer or an actor? How do they go about having their work out there?
Last week: I came across a tweet from a blogger saying that she had written a topical piece for a program. Unfortunately, the piece was rejected and it left her deflated. She had put a lot of effort into the composition of the piece and the bad review almost crushed her. However, she did not let it get her down. She shared the same piece on a different platform and was contacted about it a few weeks later.
In the same week; the nominations for the Emmy Awards were announced. HBO, the famous home of that little show Game of Thrones had left out actress Gwendoline Christie from its list of submission for nominees. She took matters into her own hands and submitted her own work. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for her to get recognition for the craft she loves so much and she got it. She received her letter of nomination from the Emmy Awards Committee and the rest as they say is history!
Personally, I participated in a writing competition for the Uganda Feminist Forum by writing an op-ed on the theme 'Silencing our fears and fearing our silence'. Acceptance into the convening depended on the success of one's submission and I really wanted to gain entry into that space. Topical pieces are typically not my forte as history serves. Since I know myself well and are very conversant of my not so lucky streak when it comes to these pieces; I kept it at the back of my mind to share the piece here. It was reflective of my hardwork and sweat for it to be hidden away like something I was not proud of.
Surprise of all surprises? I recieved an invite to the Uganda Feminist Forum! I was so giddy with excitement and disbelief that it took awhile for it to sink in. I then took to my social networks to share the excitement! To this date; I am still happy at the thought that that op-ed scored me a invite into a space that is closed to many. I still harbour the intention of sharing the op-ed on this space for I am extremely proud of myself and the piece.
With all that said: I am requesting us to become champions of our work as creatives. Let us not let the bad reviews, lack of appreciation from companies, organisations and institutions that we work for stop us from gaining the recognition that we seek. Let us take advantage of the platforms available to us and use them in our favor.
You do not have to wait for people to appreciate you in order to appreciate yourself especially when it comes to your work. Be your own Champion and let the world marvel at your grit, determination and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...