Sunday, December 20, 2015

Social Butterfly


One of the things I neither expected nor anticipated this year was having a semi-active social life. Alas! I came out of hibernation and went with it.
Besides my work and art, it is the unexpected aspect that has brought me immense pleasure for it gave me the opportunity to meet a few good men. 
Over the weekend, I spent a few hours in the company of a man of a certain age. The kind that have the indefinable 'je ne sais quoi' about them but really it has to do with experience and how well they wear it. 
As I watched and listened to him talk; I kept thinking how we (girls) have the tendency to dwell and wallow in heartache and pain over past deeds, misdeeds and deeds undone that we invariably bolt doors- close ourselves off from socializing with good guys who come along during the healing period yet it shouldn't be so. We refuse to give these opportunities time and a chance out of self protection forgetting that the people we are suffering or suffered for never stopped practicing 'plate theory' and exploring all their options in our honor before and after the stopover in their lives.
Instead of bolting the door shut over Dick who was so full of himself he could self combust, keep it a jar at least to Harry, John or Jim who might come along and help you get over Dick.
Take the necessary time you need to heal but do not close the door entirely especially on someone you happen to make a connection with because at the end of the day, the decision to take a chance or not is yours - depending on how serious the other person is.
I think this is the reason as to why I have been on the receiving end of so many 'you have changed' remarks. It was inexplicable at the start but I'm beginning to get it. I'm glad something good came out of being a social butterfly because it took a lot of effort on my part. The best part of it all is having my social calendar come to close on such a good note. 
Alhamdulilah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...