Saturday, July 14, 2018

Past Re-collections



Me checking out the statue of our former President Sir Milton Obote
I chanced upon a post from a twitter follower about her 2018 mid-year review. Her post reminded me of my promise to keep a gratitude journal to help me focus on the positive and dwell not on the lemons life handed me. I admit; I lost my way after 2015 and it has been a lot of work trying to find myself again. I derived a lot of pleasure in keeping a gratitude journal and sharing it in that I was driven to leaf through my collections for 2017. I spent equal measures of 2017 terrified of death and worried over the state of my health. I lost 3 people within my immediate family and a close friend to both of my best friends. Those surprise deaths shook me to the core and exhibited the fragility of life. To date; the possibility of death still lingers in my thoughts.
"Why not 2018, you ask?" 2018 is HARD at the moment. However; this is not a dreary post so I shan't make it as one. These were some of my thoughts and bits of gratitude for 2017.



January
Alhamdulilah for the opportunity to work and earn a living.
I was involved in a documentary talking about issues affecting Women with Disabilities at national level.
When you get the chance to be good and do good for someone don't let it spill out of your hands.
The Story of You - Poem

February
I received and signed the work contract
Dear Girl - Poem
Artistic inspiration struck after 3 months. Alhamdulilah for my talent

March
You Don't Know Me Enough - Poem
Impressed with my "Expression of Happiness."
Inked my "Expression of Happiness" and the details came to me slowly but surely
"Write - when the words are ready to be written and flow without effort."

April
We Have No Say Over - Poem

May
Online interview
Even In Love - Poem
Thank God for good company and the ability to take oneself out
My obsession with Korean Dramas was resurrected with the discovery of kissasian.com
"Every girl deserves a guy who tells her that her smile blinds his sight." I wish we had met at a different time
Surprise birthday cake from the sister and brother-in-law
Spent the day in the company of a man. May it be a better year. Ameen
BIRTHDAY! Alhamdulilah for another year

July
I had the most wonderful dream that gave me a little hope.
My opinion made it to the news dailies.
July never fails to make me feel like the loneliest soul in the world

August
Work trip to Apac and Lira where I met the most inspiring woman with a disability and paid a trip to the home of Sir Milton Obote
Life may not be as perfect as it should be but it is totally OK at the moment
It is a shame that the people we care for never hold us in the same regard

September
"Vanity is making feeble attempts at not looking too helpless and sick in front of your lover." - Temptation

I had kind of hoped you would be my ocean
I almost told you before it went awry
I guess, I was wrong.

Busy week! Busy Month!
Goodbye September. You were quite a hard month but I managed to muddle through it

October
Your Face On Mine - Poem
Its sad having to watch everyone's ship arrive but your own. Even sadder is the fact that it may never arrive.
I'm more terrified of death as an adult than I ever was as a youth
I miss the innocence of youth

November
I have lost so many people this year that I keep wondering who the next person to go might be
Her Mother - Poem
Yoga fix got my thighs looking smaller!
Happy to have more responsibility at work

December
Moments - Poem
Weddings make me sad

The innocence of youth is believing in your dreams with infinite faith that they shall come to pass. Never knowing that life interrupts the best laid plans and that nothing ever turns out the way we thought it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Me A Comment, If You Please...

The Disability Lane

Simply Shanah harbors both professional and personal milestones. In 2019; I made the decision to separate the professional and individual ex...